Friday, April 15, 2011

Perfect Playlist

I had one of the best runs of my life yesterday: 3 miles in 30 minutes. And I felt fantastic!

I tell people all the time that seem so impressed with my mediocre running skills that most of running is mental. You can't think about the fact that you are running, because if you do, every pain or feeling of discomfort will be what you focus on. And, let's be honest. Running is always painful and uncomfortable. I'm learning slowly but surely how important it is to train your mind to completely zone out and not think about running.

And today, I was more successful than I think I ever have been. I felt incredible!

Major credit, however, goes to my iPod and the amazing, randomized playlist it put together for me. I highly recommend the following songs to help any runner reach deep down into their suitcase of courage and pull out an awesome run.

"Song for a Young Queen" - Chris Thile
"Arrival" - Ethel (Click on the album Light)
"Like a Rolling Stone" - Bob Dylan
"El Scorcho" - Weezer
"This Side" - Nickel Creek
"The Plagues" - The Prince of Egypt Soundtrack
"Nowhere Man" - The Beatles
"Falling" - Ben Kweller
"Mahna Mahna" - The Muppet Show (I can't tell you how happy I get when this comes up on my iPod.)
"Sleep" - Eric Whitacre

This was pretty much the perfect mix of completely unrelated songs I needed for that run yesterday.

And it seems that mild Spring weather is having its one last gasp tomorrow morning. The forecasted low: 49 degrees. Perfect morning for a run. I can't wait.

1 comment:

  1. I KNOW!! Isn't it amazing?! I had one of those on Saturday. I'm definitely going to try your songs. The ones that made things so fun for me were Regina Spektor's Fidelity (it made me have short, light, quick steps) and U2's Where the Streets Have No Name (a classic). Thanks for listing your songs!! I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete