Monday, April 04, 2011

Four: Flying Owls

I apologize for the delay in this week's post. I simply didn't get around to editing and posting these photos last night!

As mentioned in my last post, I ran the Rice Flying Owls 5K on Saturday, which marked an anniversary of sorts for me. It was about a year ago that I ran this same 5K, my first 5K, after having just attempted to become a real runner.


I wasn't able to take photos during the race, obviously, but I brought my camera to capture the after race event, which is always a fun part of any race.



There were many we knew who ran the race, including Ruth (go and see her run down here). After, we all hung out enjoying the after race food, which was delicious. Everyone had a good time.


After the race was officially closed, they had a kids dash, which was the only "race" part of the race day I was able to photograph. Everyone stood to the side of the designated "track" for the dash holding the same posters used to motivate those of us who ran the 5K.


And they ran their little hearts out! It was adorable, needless to say.



Even Sammy, Rice's mascot, joined in the fun to motivate the kiddos.


The Rice 5K was such a fun event! While I didn't do as well as I was hoping to (70 degrees and 100% humidity means that I can't run very well), it was still a reason to celebrate having made it full circle to where I was last year. And can I tell you how ultimately pleasant 3.1 miles feels compared to a half marathon? Even in the terrible weather conditions? Seriously, I had to only suffering for just over half an hour, and then I could stop, eat some bagels, and enjoy the after race party.

I think I'll definitely do this race for a third time next year. And keep on keepin' on in the mean time!


1 comment:

  1. Hee hee hee! Lucy looks like Popeye :D

    Fantastic pictures! Favs: the first and third. The little boy running turned out super cute as well :)

    ReplyDelete