Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Red Scare

It's time for...a mid-week post!

First, a photo.


For those of you who are not on Facebook (or not my 'friend'), about 2 1/2 weeks ago, I went red. I posted a quick photo on Facebook, but I figured (a) why not take another photo and post it here on the blog, and (b) I like the color of my hair better now that it's faded just a bit. Instead of being in-your-face red, it's more of a normal (but still bold), dark red.

I know I look a bit deer-in-the-headlights in this photo, but I wasn't trying very hard. And I also kind of like this look on me. It's a bit quirky and odd. Just like me. And yes, I was totally holding out my camera (on my gorilla pod) out in front of my face Facebook-style. Again, not trying very hard.

I had a conversation with a photographer about taking self-portraits, and he told me that for over 5 years, he took a self-portait every day as a way of documenting his life. Wow. Since I had a month to learn the art of/get comfortable with self-portraits, I really respond to this idea of documenting my life through photographs and making sure I am in them. So often, I take hundreds of photographs at events, and I'm not in a single one. That's...a bit sad, I think.

This photo above is quite unremarkable (except for the red hair), but I've decided to try and take more self-portraits, especially as I'm exploring and experiencing new and different places this year. And perhaps I'll start posting those every now and then. My blog seemed to get much more popular during my month of self-portrait taking, which (hopefully) means that everyone thought I was an awesome portrait-taker.

Is...that right?

And in other news, I bought a wide-angle lens attachment last week.


New photography equipment (especially attachments that are cheap!) makes me happy.

5 comments:

  1. I have two things to say:
    1) When I saw you at the rodeo, I was really struck by how FANTASTIC you look with that hair color. Really, it's great with your skin tone and eyes.
    2) I really can't stand how cute your outfit is. The shirt, the cardigan, the necklace, I want to steal them and wear them every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah- love it! The red hair and the outfit (I'm copycatting Katie)... Remember how in 2nd grade being a "copycat" was like the worst thing ever? Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. This April I'll be celebrating the start of my 4th year of doing a self-portrait a day, it's been so fun! Originally I started doing it to improve my photography skills (it definitely did!) but now it has evolved into more of a documentary project, showing where I am emotionally or physically for that day... Either way I have learned so much about composition by doing self-portraits, you have to be able to visualize what the camera is seeing without looking through the viewfinder, or be able to imagine what a shot will look like without your subject in the frame when you are composing through the camera... Quite the challenge, but I can beat anyone at shooting from the hip because of it! =D

    Oh and your hair looks divine! And that wide angle adapter too! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, ladies!

    And Katie, I just have to say that I love that you mentioned my outfit/necklace. That's actually the third reason why I took this photo - because I loved the outfit I put together that morning. I was going to mention this in my post--but I didn't want to be too self-indulgent. :) Thanks for the compliments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I just thought you were hot.

    (LOVE the mid-week posting with YOU. This blog is great. YOU are great.)

    ReplyDelete