Saturday, September 11, 2010

Blue: Remembering



I had the opportunity tonight to participate in a memorial concert as part of the Rice Chorale. We performed Duruflé's Requiem to honor the victims of September 11, 2001. It was a humbling and beautiful experience.

I had spent part of my afternoon looking through photos snapped that day and remembering the fear, the shock, the helplessness we all felt that morning as we watched the footage of the World Trade Center burning and then eventually falling. I found this set of photos on The Big Picture blog, and one photo in particular caught my attention: #2.

I thought of this man, his fear, his desperation, his utter hopelessness...

When reminded tonight before the concert that we were singing this beautiful Requiem for the victims of the 9-11 attacks, I thought of him. I thought of his unceremonious death. And I decided to sing this Reqiuem for him:

In paradisum deducant te Angeli; in tuo adventu suscipiant te martyres, et perducant te in civitatem sanctam Ierusalem. Chorus angelorum te suscipiat, et cum Lazaro quondam paupere æternam habeas requiem.

I think I had forgotten (not entirely, of course) about those who jumped to their deaths from atop the towers that morning 9 years ago. So much of the trauma we all experienced that day, I think, has been locked forever in our hearts, only to be reopened once a year in early September.

Matt & I later watched the beginning of a History Channel program called "102 Minutes That Changed America". Footage and audio recordings from hundreds of different sources had been pieced together from that morning into a continuous 102 minute time frame, starting when the plane hit the first tower and ending when the second tower fell.

Again, all of the awe, the sadness, the dread flooded my heart as I watched and listened to September 11, 2001 as it happened. Again.

---

For today's photo, I wanted to pay tribute to those events 9 years ago, being ever mindful of those who did and continue to suffer from their effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment