Thursday, July 01, 2010

A new month, a new theme: Doors & Windows

I can't believe it's July already. Perhaps it was the week we spent in Utah that made the month feel shortened?

Not only am I saddened to see time marching on as it always does, but I'm quite blue about ending a month of black and white photography. The good news is that I always have the option of turning a photo into a black and white image. And I've also dearly missed color. I took a photo yesterday of a puddle of water in the midst of tons of fall colored leaves (Houston's trees are always confused as to what season it is...). I loved the composition, but it really didn't take well to black and white. The colors of the leaves were incredible, and I was disheartened to not be able to use one of the shots as my photo for the day. So, hooray for color!



The bad news is that I thoroughly enjoyed, not just thinking in black and white, but being completely free to shoot whatever I wanted.



The freedom was incredible, and I'm not exactly looking forward to being confined again to a subject. However, I think I've chosen well:



I have quite a knack for being enthralled to photograph doors. I'm not sure exactly why, but I always find doors (and windows) particularly thrilling to shoot.



So while I'm losing the freedom I had during the month of June, I'm also shooting subjects I absolutely adore. That's right. I adore doors.



Yes, I'm quite aware what a big dork I am. Thanks for the reminder.



Yes, I will be enjoying this month. Quite thoroughly, I think. I think the challenge I will face this month will be to not simply take photos of doors and windows I love straight on and call it a good shot. That'll get boring really fast, don't you think?



But I am looking forward to this. Come back and visit later tonight when I'll be posting again!

By the way, all of the above door and window photos were taken in Scotland. (The two black and white images were taken in San Antonio.) I'm almost finished (finally!) editing all of our Scotland photos...more posts to come on those, from my trip to Lubbock (I have way too many cute photos of my nephews that need sharing), and our trip to Utah last week (seriously, why must we be stuck here in nasty, ole' Houston?).

1 comment:

  1. Oooo! I'm excited for this one. You do have quite the knack for finding/taking pictures of doors :)

    ReplyDelete