Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Imagination

One more post on my nephews from my visit in May...

My last evening in Lubbock, we were preparing for a delicious barbeque dinner and hanging out on the back porch as the sun was setting. It was absolutely gorgeous, and as I was trying to capture the sunset, my sister reminded me that I had yet to take any photos of actual people that day.

What great luck I had that she mentioned that at the moment she did.



Cade was standing on the back porch directly under a bright light blowing bubbles.



All I had to tell him was to stay standing exactly where he was under the light and to keep blowing bubbles. Easy directions for a 5-year-old to handle. :)



I posted my favorite that night and found myself a bit overwhelmed emotionally. As I edited these photos, the song "Pure Imagination" from Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory was playing my head. (I think those wonderful commercials are to blame for that.) The pureness and beauty of that song, combined with the ingenuously sublime voice of Gene Wilder, seemed incredibly appropriate as I sorted through all of these photos of a 5-year-old blowing bubbles, absolutely enthralled and amazed at what was possible. That is why I named the photo "In a world of pure imagination," and all of these wonderfully pure thoughts filled with childhood nostalgia brought a tear to my eye. I'm still not completely sure why, but now, every time I hear "Pure Imagination," I have to fight back the tears.



Come with me and you'll be
In a world of pure imagination
Take a look and you'll see
Into your imagination

We'll begin with a spin
Traveling in the world of my creation
What we'll see will defy explanation

If you want to view paradise
Simply look around and view it
Anything you want to, do it
Wanta change the world?
There's nothing to it

There is no life I know
To compare with pure imagination
Living there you'll be free
If you truly wish to be

If you want to view paradise
Simply look around and view it
Anything you want to, do it
Wanta change the world?
There's nothing to it

There is no life I know
To compare with pure imagination
Living there you'll be free
If you truly wish to be

No comments:

Post a Comment