Friday, July 30, 2010

Coming to a close (ha!)

Get it?! This month of doors and windows is...coming to a close!

...

Moving on...yes, this month is nearly over. How has it gone?



Well, I'm torn, actually. While I had the opportunity to photograph a beloved subject all month, I felt a bit stifled, creatively speaking. There's only so much one can do to create both an artistic and unique photograph of a door or window day after day. Although I absolutely love some of the pictures I took this month, I have to admit that to the viewer, all of these photos might have seemed a bit monotonous and perhaps even boring.



Am I right? And am I responsible for that? Could I have tried harder to make this month's theme more interesting and less of a bore? Probably. Although, I gave it an honest effort. But perhaps posting a month of photographs of a subject I uniquely adore isn't the best way to showcase my talent to others who do not share my passion for doors and windows.





So what does August hold in store? Well, I haven't decided yet. Looking back at the list of potential themes and subjects I posted a few months ago (and your suggestions), here are my thoughts:

  • Self Portraits - I'm still not ready to face this one (ha!)...I think this subject might be put off intentionally until the end of this challenge. We shall see.
  • Food - Since the weather in Houston this time of year is still oppressive and ridiculous, I think firing up my oven on a potentially daily basis so that I can photograph delicious food (and post recipes!) is out.
  • Colors - I'm still not sure quite how to execute this one, or if it will eventually be used. It might come up again if I'm completely stumped and 10 months into this project.
  • Skies - Ruth suggested this a few times, and I'm beginning to warm to the idea. I love a shot that includes a gorgeous sky. A few of my favorites include "Falling Fountains" and "Home". I discovered last month how absolutely gorgeous a sky can become in black and white with the help of photoshop. The question is, however, how to execute this theme. Obviously, I wouldn't only be taking photos of the sky, as seen in my previous challenge photos. But wouldn't this get boring and monotonous, much like this month has gone? What are your thoughts?
  • Lines - This is one I've thought of recently - a month of lines. Imagine a photo like "Granite Waves" and how the lines of the arched doorway draw your attention to the subject of the photo. A month of both natural and man-made lines would, I think, be an interesting challenge I'd like to explore. I think this is a contender for the month of August if you guys (yes, all of you who daily visit my blog...I know who you are! Leave a little comment and share your thoughts, pretty please!) like this idea.
  • Macro - For those of you who aren't familiar with this photographic term, a macro photo is basically a close up shot. Think most of my photos from the month of April. Obviously, I really enjoy Macro photography. I am also keen on the idea of doing another month with a technical theme. I also just did a month like this (black & white), so I might put this one on hold for a couple of months for some separation.

There are my thoughts. And I'd very much so like to hear yours regarding what I should do next month. Lines? Skies? What say you!

-------

In the meantime, enjoy more pictures from Scotland. I have (finally!) finished editing all of our (well over 1,000) photos, and I'm in the process of labeling each and will (by tomorrow, hopefully) post a selection on Facebook. Then, I'll probably start posting more here on my blog. Excited?! I sure am.



A boy sledding near Loch Lomond



The Wallace Monument



Stained glass in Dunblane Cathedral



St. Machar's Cathedral in Aberdeen on Christmas day



Dunnottar Castle



Glamis Castle



Ruins of St Andrews Cathedral



Edinburgh



Ruins of Melrose Abbey

3 comments:

  1. This month was one of my favorites! I love your architecture photography!

    The idea of lines in intriguing. I took a photography class once and one of our assignments was on patterns and I loved it.

    Also: Can't WAIT to see Scotland through your eyes (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture of the cathedral ruins: GORGEOUS! Same with the B&W Edinburgh.

    I still like the idea of skies, but agree that it would be pretty difficult to keep it interesting for a full month (Though, I have no doubt you'd be able to pull it off). I'd suggest Macro or Lines. Both would give you a lot more freedom in subject choice.

    Happy choosing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in love with your secret garden shot... and you. I'm all for the colors idea, but I don't have any suggestions about how to do it - sorry! Good luck love!

    ReplyDelete