Tuesday, June 01, 2010

A black & white June

It's June! Which means that I've finished the first quarter of my photog challenge! (Can you believe it?)

And it's also time for a new theme. I appreciate everyone's input last week, and as I thought about it, I really liked the idea of doing a theme based on aesthetics rather than a subject. That being said, I decided to do black & white.



Now, this does create an interesting challenge for me. While I can choose any subject I wish (freedom!!), I have to create a photograph that will translate well into black and white.



In my experience, a photograph that's monochromatic or lacks a dynamic nature is usually well suited to black and white. Photos such as "Torn" or "Granite Waves" are prime examples.

"Torn" was (almost) completely green, and I felt that it lacked dimension. Giving it the B&W treatment, I felt, brought out all of the wonderful details of the leaves while bringing out the dynamic nature I thought it lacked in color.

"Granite Waves" was too dull and monochromatic. The door was a dark, dingy brown, and the granite was expectedly grey. By turning it into a black and white photograph, I thought it brought out the main feature of the photo, the sculpted granite, in a way that was impossible in color. You notice the granite and can feel it's static movement thanks to the B&W.



You may recognize this photo. I posted it's color version just last week. Many times, if I think a photo will benefit from a B&W treatment, I'll try it out. And in this case, I loved how it turned a bright and beautifully colored photo into a moody, gothic photo. I couldn't choose between the two versions, so I saved both! Decisions are hard to make sometimes.



This was taken during a family session last month, which, by the way, I'm still offering! If you're interested in The Nama Sessions, please feel free to contact me!

I'm looking forward to thinking in black and white this month, as I am prone to naturally thinking and wanting my photographs to be bold and colorful. I can't help but turn away from a beautifully blue sky or, heaven forbid, turn it black and white! It breaks my heart. So this, I feel, will be a fun and interesting challenge, and I'm looking forward to seeing the world without color this month. Seriously, I've been dreaming in photographs for three months now.



I love this photo. And it brings a huge smile to my face. Not just because it was taken in Scotland or that it's just of Matt, but because it's of Matt genuinely smiling (which is difficult to capture) and joyfully happy because of the falling snow. Also, it could be the fact that I really miss him. And this is the best I have right now.



Enjoy these black and white photos, and many more to come! And please keep leaving kind and helpful comments. I really do appreciate them! And I know that there are many lurkers out there, so get to commenting. :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm very excited for B&W! I love what it did to that picture from last week. Texture just popped out of nowhere. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete