Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Battle of Marathon

Matt accomplished quite the feat on Sunday:


He finished the Houston Marathon!

Matt's parents and I cheered him on at mile 10:


(That's him in the green.) He wasn't looking too awful, but I guess he was having a difficult time. Despite the pain and hitting the wall, we saw him at the finish line right on schedule:


He came in at 4 hours and 15 minutes, his desired goal! Amazing!


Being a spectator at the marathon was quite the experience. Everyone was enthralled and excited for all the runners, and because their names were on their bibs, we could yell out their names and encourage them, which a lot of them terribly needed this close to the end. It's simply amazing what you can do with sheer will power and great encouragement.


And Matt certainly could not have done with without the peer pressure from all of these guys. There are good and healthy varieties of peer pressure, and I think this qualifies.


Congratulations to all those who finished the marathon! Seriously, I'm quite proud and inspired.

So much so that I'm beginning to give in to Matt's peer pressure to run the half marathon with him next year, and despite my sad attempt to start running last year, watching the marathon this year has definitely inspired me to try harder and set goals so that I can accomplish something amazing. To be continued...

3 comments:

  1. Grant sent me the registration link for the Rice 5K:

    https://www.signmeup.com/site/reg/register.aspx?fid=TM2V5K7&Source=Calendar29

    We could do it...right? YES, we can! And we WILL!! (How's that for peer pressure?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooo!!!!!
    Your hair is lookin way cute too by the way.

    ReplyDelete