Thursday, December 03, 2009

"This is I, Hamlet the Dane!"

I've been saying for months now that I would post my pictures/stories from Denmark, and 6 months later, I think it's about blasted time.

But first, a blog note: Most of you know that since I started my blog all those many years ago, I chose not to capitalize as an homage to e.e. cummings, one of my favorite poets. Rarely did he capitalize in his poetry, and since my muttered musings over the years are pieces of my own impressions, thoughts, and emotions, I found the tribute appropriate. Until now...when bad spelling, grammar, acronyms, and un-capitalization have become the "way" most people write on their blogs, on Facebook, etc. (Note: I know that I am human and makes these mistakes and/or get lazy sometimes, but I care enough to try very, very hard to write correctly. And also, I do not consider myself a grammar snob.) And over time, I have grown to find this extremely annoying and now have a perhaps horribly judgmental perceived notion that those who do not try to spell or use grammar correctly or ever bother capitalizing or use all of those idiotic acronyms popular these days not only don't care, but are too stupid to care and/or know how to actually use the English language correctly. I realize this judgement kind of makes me terrible person, but there it is. (And please accept my apology if that offended you in any way...that's not my intent whatsoever.) So, as my tribute to a grammar rebel perhaps seems lazy to some these days, I've decided to...start capitalizing! It was either that or start using "LOL" after every sentence. **End of blog note**

And now, without further ado, I give you Denmark!


This was taken on top of the Ribe Cathedral in Ribe, a small, quaint, preserved Danish town.

But I will begin our trip from the beginning: København.

We arrived in Copenhagen early Friday morning stupidly tired...but we were in Denmark! We tried to survive on Coke and other food as energy sources, but we were pretty beat. Matt, I think, was particularly out of it. He remembers that first day in Copenhagen without much fondness and thought it was a dirty city without much to see. He was wrong.

How can a old man riding his bicycle with his dog up front not be awesome?! Bikes were everywhere in Denmark, which made us happy. Everyone from the young to the seriously old rode their bikes, which was quite refreshing to see.

And for the most part, the bicycles you saw parked weren't locked, which we found very interesting. It definitely made most of Denmark feel very safe. The above photo was taken on Snaregade, an old, Medieval street in Copenhagen. It was such a gorgeous, little street.

One of the highlights of Copenhagen was the Marble Church, which was actually quite "modern" (It was finished in 1894), but still strikingly beautiful and austere.


And of all the churches we went to in Denmark (too many to count), I think the Marble Church was the most reverent. I'm not sure why that is, but walking into the church felt quite sacred, and although we took pictures, it almost seemed inappropriate.

There were also a bunch of large statues of...Danish people...outside of the church. I'm sure the Danes know who they are.

In another church (I lost track of names...), we found this modern, three-paneled painting of the crucifixion, which I absolutely loved. If ever I find a print of this, it's going on my wall.

Oddly enough, there was an obelisk in the middle of the city. I have no idea where it came from or why it was there, but it reminded me of Rome. Back in Roman times, there were many emperors and others in authority who pillaged Egyptian obelisks to take back to the city. Eight can be found throughout the city placed in random spots.

That night, we met up with my childhood friend, Alaina, and her husband, Morten, who is Danish. We went up the Rundetaarn to catch a view of the entire city.

I loved the juxtaposition of the old, greened towers next to the very modern, sleek buildings.

We also went to see, of course, Den lille havfrue: The Little Mermaid. I think every girl my age has a special attachment to this fairy tale character thanks to magic of Disney. I found this statue quite beautiful, and although I couldn't manage to get a great picture of the statue, I couldn't resist photographing this moment.

Ah, love. It does strange things to many of us.

St. Alban's Church was another church (the only Anglican church in Denmark) we saw that we loved. It was also "modern," but the outer stone work was gorgeous, and it was set in a beautiful location in Copenhagen.

Back to the Marble Church, down the street from the church is the royal residence, Amalienborg Palace.

And, of course, the palace had it's guards, whom you did not try to cross. On our last day, we were starving and had bought Danish hot dogs from a street vendor (not the most appetizing lunch ever) and were close to the palace. So we walked down the street, and I attempted to sit on the steps of the palace to eat my sandwiched hot dog when a palace guard walked up close to me and flicked his arm at me in an attempt to remove me from the steps. I very quickly popped up and apologized. I don't think he even cared.

Copenhagen also had beautiful gardens, which we wandered in the cold rain on our second night.


Copenhagen was a delight, and we thoroughly enjoyed wandering this wonderful city and trying to see all it had to offer.

Next time, I will take you to Roskilde, a little town about 30 miles outside of Copenhagen.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Nama! As always, you are an absolutely STELLAR photographer and I love every one of these images.

    I can't wait to see Roskilde as we have a client there and thus I am one smidgen closer to having a reason to actually get there someday (:

    Also: I may take your note on punctuation and copy it wholesale as it is exactly my feelings. I too love the freedom of non-capitalization but hate to be classed with the non-educated LOLers.

    And furthermore: Emoticons. What can be done? We need a script for sarcasm. I've worn my colon down to a nub.

    And finally -- are you still coming here for Christmas? If so, when? I'm going back to Utah but perhaps our paths will cross?

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I enjoyed your photographic tour of the land of my forefathers, I was deeply offended by your grammar rant. Prescriptivists like you are the reason I don't feel comfortable ending sentences prepositions with. You would also deny my freedom to brashly split infinitives. I dangle my participle at you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost laughed out loud when I found a glarring grammer error in your confession sentence; "Note: I know that I am human and makes these mistakes..." Thanks for the great rant. Also great pics of a great trip. You opened my eyes to the beauty of Denmark. I guess Hamlet had reason enough to be proud of his ethnicity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful. Cummings--who routinely capitalized words such as his name--was tired from rolling in his grave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, enjoyed your rant very much. I was the English stickler back before I really annoyed some friends by constantly correcting their horrid sentences ("Will you borrow me..." "I could care less.." Ugh, those still make me shudder).

    Our excuse for not capitalizing the family blog: Grant is a terrible (and s.l.o.w) typist. Seriously, somehow he only uses 6 of his fingers. I don't know how he made it through all of the required typing classes in high school. You'll notice even in his comments he remains lazy. But because he's Grant, he'll always be super cool.

    The pictures are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Expecially and irregardless. I will admit that I'm a grammar snob but I'll also admit that I am not a proofreader. And I'll also admit that I made up words but don't use the cliche made up words because they drive me nuts.

    And Twitter language. Why don't you just scrape your nails along a chalkboard.

    ReplyDelete