Friday, January 23, 2009

runnin' on empty

diary of a wannabe runner, part 1

monday night, approximately 6:30 p.m.
nama & matt's apartment

nama (who has never successfully run 1 mile in her life): remember your idea of going for a run after i get off of work?

matt (who successfully ran a 10 mile race last june): yes.

nama: we should really start doing that this week.

matt: are you sure?

nama (looking down at the few extra pounds that have found a nice home around her mid-section since the marriage last year): yes. 

tuesday, approximately 5:00 p.m.
nama and matt start running on a approximately 3-mile dirt track. 

internal monologue nama: this is fun! running is fun!

tuesday, approximately 5:05 p.m.

i.m.n.: the wall! i've hit the wall!!

tuesday, approximately 5:50 p.m.
nama and matt (un)successfully finish their 3 mile run/walk

matt: how are you feeling?

nama: alright. we should totally do this again tomorrow. and the next day. 

wednesday
nama has woken up completely stuffed up and feels like crap.
matt decides to do the 3-mile run by himself, which he completes successfully. loser.

thursday, approximately 4:15 p.m.
even though she can't breath and her head is spinning, nama decides to do a shorter run to ease her really sore running muscles.

i.m.n.: sniffle sniffle
 i can totally do this. 1 mile. that's nothing!

thursday, approximately 4:20 p.m.

i.m.n.: oh, gosh! the wall! i've hit it again!

thursday, approximately 4:50 p.m.
nama, once again, (un)successfully finishes a 1.4 mile run/walk, feels defeated, but realizes running when she can't breath isn't such a smart thing to do. loser.

friday
nama's muscles aren't as sore anymore. success!
nama can also almost breath out of her nose. more success!
next run planned for monday. until then, it's yoga time. 

to be continued...

9 comments:

  1. One time, that's awesome. I'm so proud of you for going! I married an athletic man and our discussions go more like this:

    D: Let's go running!!
    A: Pft. Yeah. Right.

    Repeat every two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to not give up! It's hard running with someone who is fitter than you. I don't like running with Grant, I'm panting and about to collapse before he's even out of breath...

    Funny story: Last Friday, I took the girls to the park and tried to run part of the way. Hazel, enjoying the breeze, said "Good running, Mommy!" Sadly, it didn't last long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm proud of you, I just started a running program so I know how hard it is keep it up. My weightlifting teacher said it takes like 6 weeks to have visible results, and even though I think running might be faster, don't get discouraged.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monday? Let's just go tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least you want to run. I used to clain "Jet Lag" to get out of running the mile in high school. Usually I hadn't even traveled, but the P.E. teacher always let me skip....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah... the 5 minute wall... we are acquainted. I have a treadmill that gets really really steep if I let it so I just make myself walk up steep hills while I watch Jackie Chan movies. Running is overrated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. annie and ruth: i know exactly how you two feel. i'm so not athletic, and matt kind of is. thankfully, he's really good at encouraging me instead of drill-sargenting me.

    hacksaw: 6 weeks, huh...maybe i should re think this...

    matt: tomorrow is for sleeping. not running. :)

    natalie: i remember having some kind of test in p.e. in high school where they tested how many laps you could run. i hated it, and i sucked. proof that i have never been a natural athlete.

    nessa: your mom's overrated. or, more like over-weight-ed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're actually off to a really good start. Don't get discouraged!

    A couple of things to add to what I already told ya, since I'm such a running expert and everything: It's actually a lot harder on your body to run every day and it won't help you see results faster. Your body needs time to rest and repair, so try every other day. When you're just starting out, three days a week should probably do it. Work on endurance first and worry about speed later. Make sure you've got a good pair of shoes. So much pain and anguish can be avoided if you're running in a decent pair of shoes. And use that training plan I showed you. It's tops.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a fan of the treadmill because you don't have to keep up with anyone but the computer of which you have control. One time I went running for a date.
    Yeah, didn't work out with that guy...

    ReplyDelete