Friday, January 30, 2009

run, nama, run!

diary of a wannabe runner, part 2

you'll be happy to know i'm not dead yet, and don't hate running
as much as i did when this whole "experiment" begun. much like how matt's experimentation with "beard science" over the christmas holidays went, "running science" is going mildy to moderately well.

monday, 5 p.m.
nama hasn't run since last thursday when she nearly died and gave up completely on running, but is deciding to stick with it. matt and nama are off to a good start.

nama (after the first jaunt that lasted about .5 miles): let's stop. 

matt: how are you holding up?

nama: i probably could have kept going! i just don't want to get to cocky and lose steam fast/hurt myself. success!

monday, approximately 5:50
run completed, life is mostly good.

matt: how are you feeling?

nama: pretty good!

matt: on a scale from 1 to 10, how much are you hating you life?

nama: meh, 3,
maybe
 4. this felt mostly good! 

nama's exhilarated, and actually feels like she's improving. what a change from last week. after 2 days off, having done a good session of yoga in between, we try again for success.

thursday, 4:50 p.m.
nama didn't get too much sleep the night before and is already feeling quite exhausted as she starts her run.

matt: let's try to make it to greenbrier.

nama: that's nearly 1 mile from where we started...i'm not sure i can doubly improve from 2 days ago. 

nama makes it about as far as she did on monday. that isn't too bad, right?

thursday, about 1.5 miles (half way) down our running path.

i.m.n.: the wall! it hurts! i want to stop! but either way, it's 1.5 miles to where we started...oooohhh!

thursday, 5:40 p.m.
nama hates running. 

this has been a week of little successes and some pretty crappy times, but i'm still hopeful this will begin to get easier soon if i keep this up. thankfully, matt's a wonderful "coach" who "pushes" me where i need it. and he doesn't mind doing what he refers to as "sissy runs" with me at least 3 times a week. he's convinced me that running early on saturday mornings is a good thing, so we're trying that out tomorrow. we'll see how fun/traumatic it is for me and my body. baby steps, baby steps...

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations--I applaud you errort. I am also glad that Matt has taken on a supportive attitude. Keep up the good work!! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel, with a few name/place/time changes, I could copy and paste this to my blog....

    What time did Matt talk you (or you talk him) into going this morning?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt seems to be rounding into quite a good husband, who'd of thought? Good luck with the running, Lance and I have started and I actually finished a run yesterday longer than I had done before and it was the best I ever felt. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm so happy to know that i'm not the only sucky runner out there trying to become a decent runner. one day, i'll love it...at least, that's what i keep telling myself.

    and ruth, we woke up at 8 am yesterday and went running. and then got doughnuts after. we deserved some type of reward, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. www.coolrunning.com. Check out the Couch to 5K plan. It's pretty awesome. That is, if it hasn't changed in 3 years. Holy crap, has it been 3 years since I was a runner? Yes, yes it has. Yikes. You go girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Amanda! So glad to hear you have been reading my blog :) Now I can read yours! I'd love for you to keep reading, whats your email address?

    ReplyDelete