Tuesday, December 02, 2008

"have yourself a merry [and warm] little christmas"

it's officially the christmas season, and i couldn't be happier! well...actually i could be. we haven't decorated our apartment yet AND it's currently 67 degrees outside. but i did christmasify my computer this morning with everything from frank sinatra to motab to sufjan stevens. i just love christmas music! it's probably my favorite part of the season.

and speaking of "the season," (deep breath...here i go), i actually miss utah's coldness right now. matt & i and my parents spent thanksgiving in lubbock with my sister and her family, and when we were running around town all bundled up, it really felt like christmas. even in dallas it was cold enough to wear my new wool coat i bought on black friday (seriously, i love it). matt & i revelled in the coldness last week, really feeling like it was christmas. and now we're back in the tropics. and it just feels like...houston. bleh. i never, ever, ever thought i'd say/admit to this, but right now (at least), i do really miss utah and its winter and its beautiful snow. sigh i guess i just want it to feel like christmas around here. i feel like all i have sufjan stevens singing to me from my speakers to assure me that, yes, it's really christmas, nama. 

now i can't wait to deck our apartment out with christmas joy. matt's seriously like a 5-year-old around christmas, which is enchanting. i don't think i know of anybody else who loves christmas as much as he does. he just makes me want to wear flannel pjs, wrap myself in a blanket, watch it snow outside, and sip hot chocolate. without a care in the world...

8 comments:

  1. The weather is great in SF too, but I'm not sorry. I will be in the cold a week before Christmas, and that will be enough for the whole year I think. You only miss it because you don't have to put up with driving and walking in it. But still, it's not the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya on the cold thing. J and I went to Las Vegas and Phoenix after Thanksgiving and I kept thinking it was summer. It was weird to hear the Christmas music blaring in the stores. But the sad thing is: it hasn't really snowed here yet. Once in October and that melted right away. I'm ready for snow anytime...

    Loves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute coat! i'm really okay with the fact that it hasn't snowed yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here in the Chi we don't have beautiful snow, but we do have gross, dirty, trampled snow, some of which I will happy to FedEx to you once I find some dry ice on sale. That coat is fabulous, by the way. Did you get the blue or the green?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen. But I don't miss the snow. Just sweaters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hacksaw: it's true that i don't miss having to live in the utah snow. in about a month or two when i know what it's like up in utah, my tune will probably change.

    karen & ann-marie: i think if i were in utah right now, i'd be happy without the snow...maybe...

    jess: feel free to send a deep dish pizza along with the nasty snow. and i got the coat in black. classic.

    erika: i miss sweaters, too! they're all in a plastic bin in our closet, along with the tons of hats, scarfs, and gloves i own. that will probably be their home for another 4 years or so...

    ReplyDelete
  7. So make sure you bring those sweaters, hats and gloves when you venture north for Christmas. It is currently 19 with a windchill of 7 and 5 inches of snow on the ground. We will let Matt use the snowblower. He must love Christmas so much because of his wonderful Mother and all the memories she made for him!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear you! I miss snow so bad right now -- but I'll be honest and say that I only want it around for a week or less around Christmas. I love Christmas too. Can't wait to either go home or decorate!

    ReplyDelete