Tuesday, October 07, 2008

"i want to ride my bicycle, i want to ride it where i like"

many moons ago when i was a spunky, awkward pre-teen, i had a bicycle. it was blue, had a banana seat, and i remember steamers of some kind on the handles. it rocked my 10-year-old world. and wearing stirrup pants, different colored scrunch socks, and some neon-colored, garish shirt, i'd ride the heck out of that thing around my neighborhood. ah, the early 90s. those were good times.

well, that was then. and now, 15 years later, i hopped onto a bicycle for the first time since those awkward and fashionably awesome days of my youth. and a month later, i've become michael bluth, riding my bicycle to and from work. everyday. 

it's true that you never forget how to ride a bike, but that doesn't mean that i stopped being awkward. the first bike i got was an 18-speed, and it turned out to be too complicated for me. ("speed 11? what's speed 11?! what do i do?!?" craaaash) so we picked up a simple commuter bike on craigslist (also where we picked up most of our furniture...i should blog about that fun adventure someday...) and i've been getting a lot better. still awkward. but better awkward. seriously. i'm like a double hawk. but then, i hit a snag this morning. i hadn't really given too much thought to the fact that, while riding a bicycle, there's no covering on the bike. the elements are free to reign onto you. and that's exactly what happened this morning. it rained. and rained. and rained some more. and since i had no idea that it was suppose to rain, i actually did my hair this morning and wore a white shirt. it was only sprinkling when i left, and i pleaded with the rain gods that they'd hold off until i got to work. and that's when the those darn rain gods conspired against me...it immediately started getting worse, and it rained harder, and harder, and harder until i was biking in a downpour. in a white shirt. 

next on my list of bike-related things to do(besides gaining more confidence in my awkward bike riding skills) is to invest in a pancho.

and maybe upgrade to a stair car.

6 comments:

  1. I like stories about awkwardness because they make me feel less alone. Ponchos are for dorks. Get a full on rain slicker and galoshes. Don't forget the hat. Do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH!!!! I am sosooo impressed that you ride you bike to work. u go girl~

    it's so cold in the mornings here now it's hard to convince my self to do anything but drive :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you found my blog. How is Texas?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those were the best days of fashion in my opinion. You could really get away with wearing just about anything. Thanks for coming by Brownie Week! Don't forget to come back Monday to see if you've won!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I looked just like you, but with a banana clip in my hair too. It was neon yellow. And my bike shorts had a hot pink stripe on the side. I usually wore them with a pastel purple shirt. Oh baby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! I had an awesome purple and pink bike with a banana seat and streamers when I was 10. My favorite outfit was a hot pink shirt with black/white pokadot shorts and matching headband. I even had hot pink and black socks that I would fold over or roll down! We were so HOT!!!

    ReplyDelete