Wednesday, August 16, 2006

early '90s memories

part 1

a few weeks ago, i was leaving work on my lunch break, and, for some odd reason, the song "home on the range" popped into my head. huh.

"hooome, hooome on the range..."


and then 2 seconds later...


"hoooome, home at our school, where the swiss stake make everyone drool. where dissecting mice can be awfully nice..."


uhhhh...brain? did you just have that memory? in all of 10 seconds, did that entire "saved by the bell" episode run through your head? every scene from zac pretending to play guitar and sing his new, cool, rock 'n' roll school song to his tragic demise when the whole gang gives him a glass of lemon(?) water (or something) that ruins his voice so he can't sing his hip version at the big competition because, to his shock, screech's dorky version of "home on the range" got the same number of votes as his rad & really cool song? oh dear...

part 2


so last night, i was watching "unbreakable" with matt, movie #2 in our shyamalanathon, & at the beginning, the words "west philadelphia" appear on the screen. & immediately, my mind does this:

"iiiiin west philadelphia, born & raised, on the playground is where i spent most of my days. chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool & all shootin' some b-ball outside of the school..."

not wanting to reveal my inner dorkness & keep my dignity, i kept this to myself, although i was secretly quietly jamming out in my head to the fresh prince, when matt starts chuckling. i turn to inquire, & he says, "...born and raised..."

i'm glad i'm not the only one.

6 comments:

  1. wow. Nama, you made my day. I think this is actually the first time I've smiled, all thanks to the rappin' talent of Fresh Prince.

    You'll probably go to heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehe... when a couple of guys, they were up to no good, started makin' trouble in my neighborhood! i got in one little fight and my mom got scared and said, "you're moving with your auntie and uncle in belair...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I whistled (spelling?) for a cab and when it came near the license plate said "fresh" and there was dice in the mirror...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pulled up to the house about 7 or 8 and I yelled to the cabbie "yo homes smell ya later." I looked at my kingdom, I was finally there to sit on my throne as the prince of Bel Aire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's truly a thing of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow... saved by the bell, that takes me back. today i heard the theme from hawaii 5o on the radio and it made me think about how at KEOM we used to play the dallas theme song to fill in the programing gaps.


    cheers,
    michael

    ReplyDelete