Tuesday, November 22, 2005

no turkey for me

is it really time for thanksgiving again?

why do i have to spend it alone this year? i mean, texas isn't that far away.
i haven't spent thanksgiving with my family in 3 years. and it seems everyone around me has family somewhere close by (that or money to buy a $500 plane ticket home) and i'm jealous.
i miss my entire family, the smell of my dad cooking breakfast, the excited look on turtle's face whenever he sees me, and the way my mother mothers me.
i remember a time during my angst teenage years when i was jealous of my good friend catherine, because she seemed to have the perfect family. whenever i was at her house, i wanted to stay, and be a part of her family because mine wasn't perfect. only now do i realize how imperfect all of our families are. and how ungrateful i was to not realize how important my family was to me, how truly wonderful they are, and how much i love and cannot live without them. it was only when i moved to utah, so very far away from my family, that i began to be truly grateful for them.
i'm still jealous of others around this time of year. while my family is a 2 and a half hour $500 flight/23 hour drive away, their family is a hop, skip, and a jump away.

what am i grateful for? my wonderful, imperfect, weird family. for those of you spending thanksgiving with your families, be grateful, and never take them for granted.

3 comments:

  1. Awwww. I love my family too. Do you have a place to go on Thanksgiving?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duh, I'm only 9-12-ish hours away. Just steal a car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sure, leah. let me get right on that...

    ReplyDelete