Thursday, June 16, 2005

A freak "jogging" accident

So last night I was watching "Untold Stories of the ER" on TLC, and an ER doctor told this story of a guy who was flown in after a "freak jogging accident" (Em, don't click on this link) with a tree...yes, a tree...in his neck! Emergency workers had cut down the tree to about 2 feet on either side so he could fit in the helicopter. And he was fully conscious and his vitals were fine. A tree!! Through his neck!!! He came in holding it in place! And because they couldn't take any X-rays or do a CT scan, they had to just take him into the OR and just cut it out! He survived. It ended happy.

I apologize if this conjures up gross images, but it fascinated me. And I just couldn't look away. Takes me back to when I wanted to be a pathologist and made me want to re-read "Stiff: The Curious Life of Human Cadavers" by Mary Roach. Great book and I seriously recommend it to anyone who can stomach these types of images. Written with such a great wit, it is, seriously, a delightful read, considering the topic. Kayla loved it, too.

Speaking of books, I've read 5 books in the past 7 weeks. I read "Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science" on the plane to Italy, "Pride and Prejudice" during the month of May, "Mere Christianity" the week I was in Pompei, "My Life and Hard Times" in Rome and part of the plane ride back, and "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" the rest of the way. If you're summer is going to be long, as mine will, pick one of these up and give it a read! I'd recommend "My Life and Hard Times" by James Thurber. It's his 80-or-so-page autobiography of his life until the age of 22, and it is HILARIOUS! READ IT!!!

Uhhh...that is all.

9 comments:

  1. i was a little link happy. sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today, I heard about a guy whose arteries got so hard that his body grew new blood vessels to bypass the hardened arteries.

    If that's not cool, I don't know what is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, um...how'd he get the tree in his neck? That's just creepy. I might have to stick to the treadmill until this irrational fear of being impaled by a tree while running goes away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the same story. I thought it was a little creep that the doctor presented the tree branch to the guy. What is he suppose to do with that, put it on the mantle and tell his kids about the "time I got a tree branch in my neck?" I think he should have taken the branch and beat the doctor with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously, how did he get the branch in his neck? Was he running really fast sideways and not paying attention or something? Blech!
    He he - I liked your "that is all" link.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sometimes when people tell me not to do something I do it anyway just because I can. Not because I'm smart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that whole tree thing is really weird.

    ReplyDelete