Thursday, April 07, 2005

Warning: Read Warning Label

Somedays, I think my life is so uneventful. Why should I even have a blog when nothing interesting ever happens to me?

Well, at least that’s what I thought this morning. Then, adventure ensued. Let me explain…

I’m getting ready for school. I’m about to put in my contacts when I realized that I had ran out of contact solution. No problem. Roommates wear contacts. I will borrow a squirt or two. I grabbed Susie’s contact solution, because, let’s be honest, it was closer. I squirt a bit on my left contact, put it into my eye, and BURNING!! MY EYE WAS BURNING!!! I try to pry my eye open to get the dang thing out, which gets quickly washed down the drain as I flush my eye out with cold water. BURNING!!!!!! My eye is red, swollen, and BURNING!!!! What the…? Aren’t all contact solutions the same? Why did my eye not like Susie’s contact solution? I pick up the bottle to inspect it and see WARNING LABELS ALL OVER THE BOTTLE:

“DON’T PUT DIRECTLY IN YOUR EYES”
“DO NOT PUT ON LENSES AND INSERT DIRECTLY INTO YOUR EYE”
“DO NOT PUT INTO YOUR EYE, IDIOT!”

30 minutes later, I found myself in Urgent Care at the Student Health Center. They numbed my eye, put a big, plastic eye-shaped cover with an IV attached into my eye, and dripped saline solution into my eye (which promptly drained out of my eye and ear) for 20 minutes. Quite refreshing, actually, considering the fact that my eye was BURNING!! Turns out Susie’s solution has peroxide in it and is only meant for storage. Doh!

Remember Ann-Marie’s blog about stupid warning labels and how unnecessary they are. Yeah, guess what. Some are actually IMPORTANT and you should READ THEM or your eye will BURN. Oh the irony. I’m still laughing at my self. My mom even laughed at me. Why must I be so stupid? STUPID!! I guess being stupid allows me to have an eventful/interesting/”fun”/ridiculous life that I am able to share with you. Don’t you feel special.

10 comments:

  1. I can top that. A year ago, I ran out of contact solution and used some saline nasal spray cuz I thought all saline was the same. Luckily, my roommate's boyfriend was an EMT and he flushed my eyes for me. I thought I was going blind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nama, you totally have an excuse, I mean your contacts weren't in, how do they expect you to read the thing when your contacts arn't even in. 2nd I would have grabbed the nearest one too.

    nessa-- that is pretty bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why would they even make a solution for contacts that shouldn't go in your eye? That doesn't even make any sense. Especially when almost all solutions are for storage AND the eye now... peroxide on contacts... idiots...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always dangerous to contemplate "I have nothing to blog on" - at least in my experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the blinding of Nessa. And don't feel bad because I almost did the same thing...but I read the label first. ;) How many days til Italy?

    ReplyDelete
  6. once i ran out of contact solution.
    so i went to the grocery store and bought some more.

    not a classic comment.

    i bet i could leave better comments if i was going to italy in 13 and a half days!!! (or something like that)

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's 17 days, thank you very much! Oh Italy...so close, yet...so close!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When you get to Italy, you won't be able to read the warning labels. What are you going to do then?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If this is how often your blogs are going to come when you're in Italy....
    You're in BIG trouble nama

    ReplyDelete
  10. It tastes like burning...

    ReplyDelete